The designer during the design and structural analysis process considers the
holes, both locations and diameters, and load being applied to determine the
final size requirements.  This is normally an iterative process to ensure a
strong part that meets the design requirements.  If it exceeds the design
structural requirements it will be too heavy as well as too strong, and
increase cost to produce.

To continue the design process of the spars, the designer determines the
landing gear strut load conditions. These load conditions are converted to
forces (quantity and direction) that the landing gear attachment must
transfer to the spar caps.  The end result is a specific size and location
of the landing gear strut with a defined attachment method and bolt pattern
to meet the aircraft design requirements.  The designer considers the bolt
sizes (smaller bolts are less expensive and reduce weight),  hole diameters,
and locations within the spar geometry. We will ignore part commonality,
reducibility and maintainability.

To relocate the holes from the original pattern to a pattern that has them
closer together and located in the risers will increase the loads on the
spar webs, landing gear strut, and the bolts. Have a really good stress
engineer evaluate what you want to do.

Follow the drawings and you cannot go wrong. If you ensure hole locations
and misdrill a hole slightly I doubt you will scrap the spar.  I would think
some have been misdrilled and are flying today after a minor repair.
Bob Morrissey
cam...@earthlink.net