The designer during the design and structural analysis process considers
the
holes, both locations and diameters, and load being applied to determine
the
final size requirements.

To continue the design process of the spars, the designer determines the
landing gear strut load conditions.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The sensible approach to building an airplane (if you really must) is
surely to buy plans or a kit from a reputable designer and build the
airplane according to plan.

Fact is, few of our species want to go this way, including (with
respect) Ken and Stu - in fact, if they had followed this sensible logic
when they each wanted an airplane, the KR would never have been born.

No matter how strong your feelings may be, getting wound up, insulting
and cussing will not achieve anything other than cause rifts - and
silence those that already say very little (generally the smart ones
who's input we really need).

It is sound advice that tells us NOT to mess with things unless we know
precisely what we are doing, cannot fault that.

For me, even better advice is where to find the skills you need to come
over and help you mess with whatever you want messed with.  I am sure
that is what R&R did, there is just no way they used the core design "as
is" for all the products.  What they came up with has proved to be
adequate - not sure when Jim Marcy got involved, but if they did not
know, they sure found someone that did, just like we can.

To get a neat KR off the ground is going to cost at LEAST $10k plus a
few years of dedication.  Another $2k ?? for the right skills check the
changes that make it perfect for you is a bargain.

The original KR was a copied from the Taylor Monoplane (designed in
1956, 1st flight 1959).  I don't know what was available in the way of
epoxies, polystyrene, urethane, Dynel etc. 10 years earlier, but we can
be sure that when the first KR was conceived, Rand and Robinson changed
more than just the name.  They seem to stay with the basic
configuration, dimensions and wing section, but they took off the
blinkers - history says that even their U control model airplane
experience came into play - I think this is wonderful, they were true
leaders in experimental aircraft.

The original Monoplane had a fixed u/c similar to that on a DH Chipmunk,
but the KR1 rev 1.0 emerged with a retractable landing gear.  A clever
concept, but one resulted in many holes being bored in the centre
section spar caps for the various pivots and locks.  I am sure they did
the necessary and "messed with it some" - none have ever failed.

This 500lb Monoplane evolved along the same basic structure to become a
1,000lb, two seat, 200 mph (up to) airplane.  Most of the completed
airplanes have been stretched and widened with more power added and a
higher gross weight. I have little doubt that John Taylor engineered
(and probably tested) the primary structure to good old British WWII
standards, but I sincerely hope that R&R messed a bit with the structure
on the way to the KR2.

The true contribution by R&R was the concept, the materials and method
revealed to the homebuilder - FLEXIBILITY.  Maybe that is why less that
120 Monoplanes were ever built, but 20 times as many KR's are flying (or
in the pipeline).

I am NOT trying to get up anyone nose here - just make the point that
our kind (the species that will opt for a KR above all other designs)
aspire and dream about how it will ultimately look - different - that is
the very essence of this design (concept) and it gets worse every time
another great looking KR takes pops up on my screen. .

Telling them to build it like it is and leave well alone, takes (for me)
a bit of the spin out of the airplane.  I bet that each flying KR owner
is very happy with his unique, very own airplane - after all, he made it
that way.  If he is unhappy with some aspect - he will soon take it out
back and add a belly flap, nose gear, whatever.

It is a scary thought that some builders may have unwittingly done
something silly that will someday hurt them - I would hope that this
forum will go a long way to preventing that.

I have little doubt that the originators were responsible in what they
did, and that the present design is adequate (structurally safe), but
like anything, it can be improved.

It is this builder's intention to change everything that does not suite
or appeal to his vision - but to ensure that each change is scrutinized
and approved by someone competent.

Test wing spars will be built (using white pine, builder's ply and
carpenters wood glue) and loaded to failure.  It can be done in a
weekend, costs very little, gives some practice, and settles concerns.
Yes, I know there is a bit more to it than that - this is just one for
instance!!

Have a great Sunday
Steve J