I would take the 2004 KR Gathering as a sample of KRs that fly routinely and
fly cross country.  Someone can correct my numbers here if I'm off by 1 or two,
but I counted 19 KRs that flew to the gathering.  Of those 19 the engines were:
1 Corvair
1 3300 Jabaru
7 Continental (O-200, C-85, and A-65)
10 VW (Varying displacements including Type 1 and Type 4 engines)
O Subaru
O Lycoming

What do I conclude from that?  No question that there are a bunch flying with
VW and Continental engines.  No question there will be more Corvairs soon as
they are the latest fad for an inexpensive engine with enough HP to make a KR
perform.  No doubt the Jabaru is a great choice, but expensive.  Lycomings are
pricey and generally too heavy for a KR.  The Subaru fad appears to be over.

Jeff

-- "Dann Johnson" <kr2d...@lycos.com> wrote:

Reading the FAA KR accident reports over past 5 years, it almost all went down
to engine failures. The good news looked to be that mostly the pilots walked
away with minor injuries.   Motor mounts on  my KR2 are currently for Great
Planes VW, which sounded good to me before getting the corvair.

Does anyone have statitics on how many KR2 / or perhaps other experimental
craft that generally use VW, like the  Sonerai that are flying with VW / or
Covair vs "rea" airplane engines like Continental.

Dann Johnson