There is a lot of truth to this.  Look how many "boat stage" KRs there are
for sale.  But I don't think that it is the "composite" part of it that is
the problem.  It is the How To part of it and the requirement to possess
many different skills, or learn them.  And, it is also a lack of commitment
and perseverance.  Most people do not have what it takes to work on a
project for the time and effort level that is required to complete an
airplane of any kind.

But when it comes to the "How To", I think that there is plenty of it
available, and we are our own worst enemies when it comes to that.  You
mentioned Canopy.  Here is a perfect example.  It is clearly defined in the
plans, how to build the canopy.  And, Todd, will build you any bubble that
you want, for a reasonable price.  But is that the canopy that we want????

You have read it many times here, build to plans and save yourself a lot of
time and money.

There are many of us who can tell you where the stumbling blocks are and
what the best ways are to do things, but everyone, including me, wants to
invent it themselves.  The basic KR, IS a simple airplane to build.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2007 - KR Gathering
There is a time for building and a time for FLYING and the time for Flying
has begun.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC