The case is marked with a large serial number along one side of the lower
part of the case, and yes there is a cross reference to tell you what it is.
 You can measure the cylinders to see what size they are.  There are so many
manufacturers that I would not know where they might put their serial
numbers.

Type 1 is like the engine that was in the Beetle and the ones that you see
in KRs is usually the 1600 that I think was used in the Super Beetle.   The
type IV is the one that was used in the VW Bus.  Anyone familiar with the
engines could just look at it and tell you if it is a type 1 or 4.  I have
no idea what the 2 and 3 are.

What is your objective?

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2007 - KR Gathering
There is a time for building and a time for FLYING and the time for Flying
has begun.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC