from "finishing a composite airplane"

"I strongly recommend spraying a light coat of black primer, before you start
filling, Even thou this step is not absolutely necessary it is very helpful
in guiding where to direct more sanding and when to change to finer sandpaper
grade. The filler becomes translucent as it gets thinner and the black color
starts showing through as dark spots indicating you are getting close to the
skin surface.""

I mix blue pthalate dye with my filler for the same reason. I question the
idea of having primer in the middle of layers of epoxy. Probably very minor.
Bob P.