Hi Ron and net.  I probably missed some of your thread.  What is your
ultimate goal for the collection of parts.   If you could send me a few
pictures off net perhaps I can help identify them.
As for the case, type 1 and 3 are similar as are type 2 and 4s.   2/4 cases
have the square tower with the oil breather near the pulley end of the
engine.
As for the crank, the end of the type 2 and 4 is different then the type
1/3.  The end of the type 4 is tapered
The crank can be measured from the center of the rod journal to the center
of a main journal.  for example type 2/4 can have 66, 71 or 78mm.   The rods
are matched to the crank in that 66mm rods wont fit the 71mm crank.
Heads are also somewhat distinctive.  type 1/3 have exhaust ports on the
ends, type 2/4 have the exhaust on the bottom of the head.  Then there are
single port and dual port heads, some with three bolt and other with 4.
The pistons can be measures to determine diameter.   With diameter, stroke
and head cc you could determine total displacement.
Don't assume anything as far as oem, these engines were made in several
countries and even aftermarket for others.   After 40 years some or all
could be aftermarket.

get your book and a good ruler measure make notes and call Steve Bennet at
GPASC, and talk to him about the differences.
you can go into some of the web pages of the members who are using VW's and
look at their engines

.Orma L. Robbins
N110LR 1984 to present