Web Page: www.jrl-engineering.com

From: "Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net>
Date:  Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:40:34 -0600

Kevin wrote:

> I think the advantage of Nikasil cylinders is they are cheap.  Not for
Corvairs/VWs it seems, but in model airplane engines it is the cheapest
engine you can buy.  They are often considered throw away engines.  Nikasil
cylinders can't be bored so they are a lot like Chromed aluminum cylinders.

Nikasil isn't a material, it's a coating that's often applied to aluminum
cylinders to improve wear resistance.  Porsche Nikasiled just about every
one of its cylinders at one time, and I don't think they did it because it's
cheap!  They did it so they could use lightweight aluminum cylinders that
still have good longevity in the place of cast iron cylinders.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil for details.  The article mentions that
it fell from favor due to problems associated with high sulfur fuels, but
100LL probably doesn't have that problem.  It's also somewhat tricky to
apply.

 I'm working on a UAV engine project in which the folks that are building
the engine insist that there's only one place in the world that knows how to
Nikosil plate correctly.  Applied incorrectly it has been known to flake off
and cause real problems...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net