Guys,
I have three articles here written by one Jim Vance. They handle building
antennae for aircraft (his own KR2) from co axial cable only. He also
explains how to use an SWR meter to tune the antennae. There is no mention
of using a specific SWR meter for the freq. I have sent them to Jim Raleigh
privately. Maybe someone can post them somewhere for all to see, Mark???
They even have pictures!! Actually they are very well written and could
easily have been used in a "how to" text book.

I think Wolfgang is on the right track regarding SWR meters, all I need to
measure is the ratio between the forward and reflected power. If the meter
is not suited to the freq, then it should give the same error both ways.
What else would the level setting be for but to set the needle to max scale
for forward power. The reflected power would then be a ratio of that full
scale reading----right?? Nowhere on the meters scale does it even mention
watts but it does mention RATIO. It is after all a "standing wave RATIO"
meter and not a wattmeter. Now if I wanted to measure the actual power then
I would need something like a Bird wattmeter. This is my understanding of it
anyway and may well be totally screwed up.
Regards
Dene Collett
KR2SRT builder
South africa