Benjamin Smith wrote:

>On Friday 23 March 2007, Benjamin Smith wrote:
>

>>Is there any particular reason NOT to get a hand-held? (other than the
>>

>price)
>

>>I bought one of the Sporty's with Com and Nav, frequency scanning, etc. for
>>$279. Although I don't fly sport yet, I won't fly without it, and have done
>>numerous tests in a rented Cessna with good results. It's nice having a VOR
>>just in case...
>>

>On a side note, the radio failed in the rented Cessna 172 I was in while
>flying Sunday over ClearLake, CA.
>
>The handheld came in quite handy!
>
>-Ben

Last OSH I was crossing Lake Michigan at 13,500 just before dusk in a
rented 172. I had 2 passengers and wasn't current for night ops, so we
landed at one of the lake shore airports to wait the hour after sunset
for me to make my T&L's. While I was in the pattern for my 2nd solo
landing, the P.C.L cycled off. The COM in the plane failed so I didn't
have runway lights. If it wasn't for the hand held, I would have had to
leave my 8 year old son and my work colleague there for a while.

Always having an HT is a good idea. He had just purchased the Sporty's
HT for this, our first flight into the OSH circus.

-dave