OK, I lied.  I haven't given up yet.  Although Dana's Key West idea really
is pure genius, that's a long way for me, and I live in Alabama!  I have
another plan.  I just looked through some of the old Gathering photos, and
the ones of Red Oak Iowa (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KRDK) still remind
me of the nice rural countryside, multiple runway airport, and great people.
Mike Garbez and Steve Bennett put this one on, and I'm guessing that if
others volunteer to deal with hats T-shirts and awards, that'd make things a
lot easier on them, and they might be coerced into doing it again.  That'd
be closer to the West Coast, near Omaha's major airport. It struck most of
us as being a perfect place when we were there.  The nearest hotel is 2.2
miles, and the beer store is only slightly further, and they have kegs!  The
only way you could get any closer to the center of the country is go a
little south to Kansas City Missouri or maybe western Kansas.

Having said all of this, I don't have a problem with going to California one
year, but I wouldn't want it to be the only KR Gathering of the year because
many east coast folks wouldn't be able to attend.  But as a "freebie"
Gathering, I think that's a great idea for those who could make it.  Same
with the other locations that volunteered.

Of course this is all somewhat hypothetical, as there has to be a vote at
this year's Gathering on where the 2010 Gathering will be, and it's really
anybody's game.  If somebody comes up with a better idea and we vote it in,
that's great.  It's really up to all of this year's Gathering attendees to
vote for where it will be next year..that's the way it's always worked.

I think I just saw three Spitfires fly over in formation, and then a DC-3
like thing, all headed in the direction of Popham airport, so I'm outta
here...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com