At 10:39 AM 2/21/2010, you wrote:
>    Not sure I understand - how will the APRS antenna be any different if
>it is installed in the same aircraft as the ELT?

For the price, I see a definite benefit to the APRS, probably used
with a 406 ELT..  The difference being that the APRS is constantly
transmitting your location and will indicate where the flight
terminated and the ELT will only arrive on scene and transmit "after
the fact" and could (probably would) be totally useless depending on
it's survivability.

I've witnessed three KR crash sites.  In the two "off airport"
crashes, the ELT transmitters were separated from the antenna on
impact and were no more effective than setting on the shelf at the
hangar.  The third crash was on the airport, less destructive, and I
have no knowledge if the ELT went off or not.

Had my friend had the benifit of APRS he would not have laid in the
woods for two days just 500 yards from the end and off to the side of
the runway.  I don't think it would have saved him but would have
saved his family two days of agony just waiting and wondering.  I see
nothing but positives for the APRS system.  I'm amazed the Fed's
haven't mandated them yet.  Like Langford said, "look at all the
search and rescue money and time that would be saved".  Just fly to
the site, pick up the remains, and everyone is home for supper.

Larry Flesner