It ran continuously. It has a reserve canister as a means to reduce load
when you kick something on like put it in 4 wheel, but if it didn't run,
trust me on this one, the heater controls locked in the defrost mode and
only ran cold air. Try driving to work in the 10 degree temps with cold air
on your defroster and no 4x to get out of the snow.....

I must say that it was only the early`99 model diesels that had the electric
as they went back to belt driven pump in the `00 and later models. But with
280K I figure that worked out to about 4500 hours. try to get that out of an
aircraft pump...

I can verify that if you need with my brother who is a Ford mechanic. Heck,
if it wasn't for him I probably still would be driving with cold air :0)

Fred Johnson
Reno, NV

Jack wrote:

Did this pump run continously or on demand? If its on demand it may not last
very long runninc continously.