The important other half of any emergency-locating system is what the emergency
responders use to detect a crash and universally use in their vehicles to find
the potential survivors in a very timely manner.    For the pilot, having a
system which helps finding your remains if you don't survive is not really
important to you.   Correction, isn't important to me.

It appears the APRS relies on family-friends to be informed of each flight and
to keep a time watch for you and/or eye on the internet url as you go along.
This includes those multi-legs out of the local area.   If you have an
'outlanding' they then are the cog in the wheel that notify emergency
authorities and relay the url.   Seems most of us can't expect family-friends
to sit and monitor each flight on their pc.  They usually have places to go and
things to do.   Waiting for them to get their hairs up when you aren't home for
supper and check their pc is better than nothing but not the ultimate.    If
you're hurting out there, there can be more of a delay for help than you might
assume.

I personally don't have anyone I can regularly sit and monitor each of my
flights.   I need to be tapped into a system which alerts the emergency
responders in the quickest manner that I have gone down along and provide the
most precise location info.   That would be the system contrived by the
authorities which involve listeners on satellites, locator equipment in
responders vehicles and teams of people sitting around monitoring the system.

I've still got the orange frequency box in my aircraft but when I can afford it
my money is going with the 406 system.   (Just in case anyone is tallying)

Tom