At 03:46 AM 2/4/2012, you wrote:
>I know I saw a thread some time back about where the best place to locate a
>  static port would be, but I can't find much mentioned in the archives
>except  that Mark L. has his about a foot aft of the firewall on both sides.

The stub wing, outside the propeller arc, or the outer wing panel
with the pitot / static tubes as indicated in the plans works well if
constructed and mounted properly.  Any location on the fuselage for
the static port and you are "guessing" that location is actually
"static" and has neither positive or negative pressure.  You have to
run a pitot line somewhere, why not run the two lines together?  My
system is  very accurate except at high angles of attack, just like
most spam cans.  I considered mounting the pitot / static on a pivot
that would keep it at zero angle of attack in all flight modes but
decided it was not worth the effort.  At high angles of attack, i.e.
landing and takeoff, I'm looking out the window, not at the airspeed
indicator.  440 hours in my KR and I can't tell you what my indicated
lift off or touch down speed is.  Your airplane will tell you if it
is ready to fly or ready to quit flying.  IMHO....................

Larry Flesner