At 09:31 AM 2/4/2012, you wrote:
>Are you saying to go
>ahead and install a  port on the side of the fuselage and also stay
>connected to
>the port  out on the wing?  That would be easy to do, I just hadn't thought
>of  it.
>  Todd

No, I'd NOT recommend two static sources, just one reliable accurate
source.  Sounds like you have something major wrong if your ASI is
that inaccurate.  Maybe it is your pitot system or even you ASI
instrument.  Any ASI system is going to be off, sometimes by a
considerable amount, in a side slip or at high angles of attack.  If
the pitot and static tubes are not aligned with the direction of
flight they are inaccurate by some amount.  I once took off and
shortly after liftoff it appeared the ASI reading was rather
low.  For a second or two I attributed it to the gusty head wind. I
lowered the nose a bit and when the airspeed was slow to move up I
assumed there was a problem with the ASI system.  I leveled off at
pattern altitude and went to a full throttle run.  The ASI maxed out
at 110 MPH.  I knew then that there was a problem in the system.  The
reading was so far off that I had to totally disregard it for
approach and landing.  After stepping around the end of the wing on
shut down the problem was obvious.  The pitot / static tubes were
bent at least 20 degrees off line.  So much for a good preflight. :-(

My advise would be to check the integrity of the entire system, the
pitot tube and all connections in line, the static tube and all
connections, correct hookup to the instrument, proper alignment of
the tubes in flight, the plug in the lead edge of the static tube as
well as the size and location of the small holes in the side of the
static tube.  I'm guessing your problem is more than just a poor
static source if the static tube is anywhere near correct.  Get
another set of trained eyes to check it over.

What about the other instruments that use the static source.  Are
they way off too?  Altimeter, VSI, encoder (if you have a

Good luck............

Larry Flesner