Todd,

 You need to look very closely for an error in your plumbing or configuration.
Your description of your pitot/static system mirrors both Larry's and mine. My
ASI has always been relatively accurate when corrected for altitude, as is my
VSI and Altimeter. I don't have any close up photos of my pitot/static mast,
but there are photos of it at <http://jscott.comlu.com/props/PrinceProp.html>
It has the pitot and static tubes bent and welded together. Mine is the unit
listed in the Aircraft Spruce catalog as part #15144.
<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/pitot15144.php> I have used this
pitot static configuration on numerous planes with no serious inaccuracies. If
this is the same unit you have, and it is mounted correctly, I would say you
need to take a serious look at the plumbing.

 You will note that my pitot mast is mounted in the outer wing panel well out
side of the prop blast. If yours is in the prop affected area, that may explain
your issue.

 There is nothing wrong with the type of static port Dan uses either. In fact,
it tends to be a bit more accurate, but we're really only talking minor nits in
accuracy, where your issue seems to be a major league ball park issue.

 -Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM
 N1213W