Further, Android already has the APIs to interface with the required
instruments, and many of the high-end phones have most of them built in...

My 'Galaxy S 4G' has an accelerometer, attitude sensor, barometer, and
magnetic compass. The Andoid OS makes these available to apps in a
generic format, without any HW interfacing required.

The only thing it doesn't have, is a way to read pitot pressure & true
static air (a/o cockpit static).

Combine those with the built in GPS, and you could get a reasonable
'backup' EFIS, although you'd still need an altimeter & ASI.