Hi,

Dave is spot on, it's easy to write stuff to interface with the internal
sensors, the only problem is those sensors are pretty low spec, and vary
between different devices.

To interface with engine and environment sensors is the hard bit, I have
recently been doing some stuff with an Arduino micro board which can interface
with up to 40 sensors and has Bluetooth connectivity, the idea is to have the
arduino yodelling data to the paired bt device like a bt GPS does. The data is
then saved to a database so can be accessed either real-time from an efis etc
or later analysed on the ground.

A similar android app already exists that reads a cars engine management system
via a Bluetooth ODB2 device - have a look at the Torque Pro android app.

I figure that if someone was to do arduino interfaces to the common aircraft
sensors, then get them to output STD ODB2 messages, the Torque Pro guy could
create the display elements in a matter of hours (if he's interested)

Peter Diffey