From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [krnet-boun...@mylist.net] on behalf of Peter
Diffey [pe...@heroic.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:33 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: Re: KR> Re:  android EFIS system

All modern cars have a diagnostic port called ODB-2 that allows
maintenance shops to check engine, air bag, a/c performance etc. The
data is sent to the diagnostic tool via a serial protocol, much like an
RS232/USB - in fact you can connect ODB-2 via a suitable serial
connector to a USB port. The diagnostic tool sends a code to the car.
and the car responds with a string of data. You can buy Bluetooth
dongles that connect to the ODB-2 port.

Essentially the Torque Pro software running on an android device can be
used to display this environment / engine data. Not all cars use the
same call/response codes, so the guy when he designed Torque Pro made
the software configurable via a simple menu interface, so if there is
something on a car that can be reported, you can configure Torque Pro to
request that data. The big prob is the manufacturers don't like telling
folks what data can be requested - GM charge $7500 for the information.

As long as you have some way to generate engine information in a way
that emulates the way a Ford or GM car present data, then you can report
that data to Torque Pro.

ODB-2 is a very simple protocol, data requests are no more than 4bytes
of data, the request is normally 8 bytes, so emulating an engine
management system is quite easy, there are several proprietary gadgets
that can do this and there is Arduino which is an open-source
microprocessor that has up to 40 analog and digital input pins that can
be connected to sensors. The Arduino can then be programmed up to
respond to requests from Torque Pro and send back the appropriate result.

Off the shelf sensors for temperature, oil pressure etc are obviously
simple to read using the Arduino, encoded output from an altimeter
should also be possible.

Programming up the Arduino isn't particularly difficult, anybody who can
write C programs will find it easy.

If I was looking at implementing this kind of system, I think I would
have 2 low cost 7in tablets, one running Torque Pro, and a second device
running GPS

Pete