John Bouyea wrote:

This  product has a 3 year shelf life.

Yep, AS&S sells it, and the manufacturer makes it and sells it. I just didn't want to wait several days, pay a bunch of money for a whole 'nuther gallon, pay for shipping that thing, and still have the "old" 9/10ths of a gallon of hydraulic oil to carry to Hazardous Waste Disposal. The "old" hydraulic oil looked brand new to me, and I'm having a hard time envisioning how something as simple as a brake cylinder and caliper are so dependent on the exact qualities of the fluid they are using (especially OIL), short of "material compatibility". Y'all do what you want, and I'll do what I want.  I think I'll survive this tragically foolish decision.

YES, it's best to buy a NEW gallon of oil, I'll confess, especially since it's your money and your time.

I was in England for 9 months several years ago, and listened to a lot of BBC news shows.  One of them was about shelf life of various foods....how to figure out if it's bad, when it's dangerous to eat, etc.  The bottom line was "use your eyes and nose to determine if it's good or not".  I think we buy and throw away more vegetables and other foods than we eat in this country....something like 70% (from memory, probably not correct), and a large percentage of it is still fine to eat.

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com
Huntsville, AL