Just to clarify why I bought a gallon of 5606 fluid, I originally started on N56ML with a small plastic container from Wicks, which I used on N56ML.  When I bought the Swift, which has hydraulic gear and flaps, I bought the gallon.  It had not been flown in many years, and I flushed the system with the remainder of the small bottle and the some of the gallon.  Since then, I've used even more of it on N891JF and N357CJ, and even donated some to a work project regarding control system research on a military vehicle we were designing.  So it hasn't gone to waste, and I have no intention of trashing what's left of it because somebody else thinks it's a bad idea to use anything but new 5606 fluid.

In other news, I'm about to paint some new panels on the Swift with some paint that was mixed in 2005.  My experience with automotive paint is that properly stirred, it works great and is a perfect match for previously painted surfaces.  As Joe Horton said when I told him.... "Oh, the HORROR!"....and he was completely kiddin'.  Joe could build a plane from stuff from the scrap yard that I'd be quite proud of....kind of like the Corvair engines we fly behind.  Come to think of it, I fly one of Joe's planes already!

The simple matter is that we are building Experimental aircraft, not flying military jets around the clock.  And we're talking brakes here, which in my case at least, are rarely and barely used, mostly run-up before takeoff, for slow speed turning, and occasional braking to turn on a convenient taxiway.  Brake pads last forever the way I use them, not that it has anything to do with brake fluid.  As I said before, replace your brake fluid yearly if that makes you feel better, but I only mess with it when a leak develops or some other very good reason to do it.  If "it ain't broke", I don't "fix" it.

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com
Huntsville, AL