I think that the situation is more complicated if we start looking at machine
prices.
Let me use some real data:
1) I have to use a db machine like gcloud n1-standard-16 ---> kubernetes
cluster with 1 node for 500$/month
2) I have to use 9 web server like n1-standard-2 ---> kubernetes cluster with 9
nodes for 480$/month

So with about 1000$/month I have the configuration that currently supports the
web traffic of my company.

If I wanted to use a single cluster I should choose nodes like n1-standard-16.
Wanting not to exceed the $1000 limit, I could create a cluster with 2 nodes.
So I'll have: a node for db and a node for 9 (web) pod

So the real question could be: in terms of performance, scalability and
stability which is the better solution between: (9 nodes with 1 pod) vs (1 node
with 9 pods)

If two alternatives are comparable I could use a single cluster :)