>  To be clear, do you have VMGL running?  And you're only getting ~35 FPS?

I have VMGL running, sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm getting ~35 FPS
running 'glxgears' with VMGL in my 32-bit Ubuntu Hardy alpha guest
using X forwarding. Running 'glxgears' in my Ubuntu Gutsy 64-bit host
gives me ~1100 FPS. Have you tried running 'glxgears' in your host to
compare with the numbers you get in the guest? I will try running
'glxgears' in the guest using just sofware rendering, to compare.

>  For me, using VMGL doubles the performance of glxgears on two different
>  machines.  As well, I'm using the "Enemy Territory" demos the author
>  used and they are usable with VMGL but still jumpy.

I have tried Quake 3 and it's not really usable in that same guest.

>  How do you use VMGL?  Do you use VNC or do you have SDL working some how?

I haven't tried looking into SDL yet.

Cheers,
Jorge