On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 09:37:16PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:

> > Actually, with direct-mmio we bypass QEMU and get a nice boost in
> > performance, and it should be possible to bypass QEMU for (most)
> > PIO's too.
>
> Since there is no pio remapping, there's no way to ensure there's a
> free pio range where the guest maps its ports.

True, and we also need to trap pio's for things like configuration
space accesses that the host needs to know about, such as BAR
re-mappings. Hence my (parenthetical) comment with regards to
"most". It's not at all clear that the gain will be worth the
complexity to decide which pio's to trap and which to let through
directly.

Cheers,
Muli
--
Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV '08)
Co-located with OSDI '08, Dec 2008, San Diego, CA