On Saturday, Aug 23, 2003, at 23:42 US/Eastern, Martha Krieg wrote:

I have wondered, and not bothered to look up the research, if part of the problem may not be that I am lactose intolerant, so perhaps some fraction of the incoming milk I was consuming was passed on to my son in my milk.

Doubt it. I didn't drink any during the pregnancy but started to drink a lot of it (as recommended) as soon as Danek was born and I started nursing. 4 weeks later, I finally complained to my gynecologist (he had 10 of his own kids, so there was nothing he didn't know about their problems; *much* better than my son's pediatrician <g>) -- I spent all my "free time" in the bathroom getting rid of all the milk through both ends (that's when I discovered I was lactose-intolerant; before, I simply thought I didn't like it, as it made me nauseous)... He switched me to water and all was fine afterwards. But Danek loves milk and can drink it in any quantity, without any problem at all. He shared my banana problem, but not the cherry one. OTOH, he had a problem with beets, spinach, etc -- to which neither I nor my DH react. He doesn't share my DH's *worst* allergy -- shell-fish. He had an early problem with peppers which he got rid of, but which *I* am beginning to develop...

Maxine D wrote:

What he could tolerate was goats milk, and he drank gallons of that when it
was available. I always knew when he was going to have a growth spurt,
because he asked for goats milk, and if I could not get it, them he hoed into
my calcium tablets!

<g> Because I so disliked milk as a child, my mother was able to give it to me only when I was sick (quite frequently, unfortunately) and not able to defend myself. But I, too, seem to have craved calcium... During all those days I spent in bed sick, I'd carefully wet the paint on the wall close to the bed, then scrape and eat it (chalk based; my being weird is *not* connected to the lead paint on the walls <g>). Got a whupping, too, when the room was re-painted, and the bed was pulled away from the wall to expose my sin... Neither of them ever "connected the dots"; it was yet another weird thing I *did* (like nailing the rug to the floor, at 2" intervals, to keep it from slipping and tripping people up <g>)

Linda Walton wrote:

although I can't take cow's milk, and hate anything made of goat's milk,
I find that I can cope quite well with ewe's milk.

My lactose intolerance is mild enough to eat cheese, even if it's made of cow's milk. Just not too often. So, when I do indulge, I go for the "double cream" (Brie, etc); if I'm gonna pay for it, I want to make it worth while :) Don't like sheep's cheese, either (still "smells") unless it's well-smoked, and that I can get only in the Polish mountains.

Toni wrote:

I don't know what the rates might be *historically* - but I wonder if any of
the research 'scientists' have published anything about how much "lactose
intolerance" is to the milk and how much is due to the stilbestrol/etc. that has been added to dairy cows' diets for ??how many decades??

Not in Poland of 1954 or so (which is when my long-term memory trail starts)... What the cows ate was what grew in the meadow, by the roadside, and in the "fallow fields" -- I took them out and "pegged" them (and re-pegged at 2hr intervals) myself. And the fertiliser that went onto those was the contents of the privy, the pigsty, the horse barn and the cow barn... Pure as pure... :) But the milk from those cows not only gave me the "trots" and the "spouts", it made me swell and itch as well; the sterilised, "city", version was much more benign, even if I still didn't like it... :)

Rose-Marie wrote:

All of the above, however, can eat at will, yogurt. It is
"partially pre-digested" and easily tolerated, as is the cream cheese made
from it

Yes! And I can drink buttermilk. And I can eat pot-cheese (and the cheesecake I make from it), and sour cream. Not *loads and loads* of it, but much more than of the unprocessed, or even rennet-processed version. It's the bacteria which curdles the milk that makes it acceptable to me. I've not heard of the Mediterranean people having that problem, but several of my Afro-American friends have reported identical "sightings" -- their babies had to be brought up on buttermilk or else soy/rice stuff...

-----
Tamara P Duvall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]