> And on the matter of cultural differences... Quite apart from the fact
> that an American "window" is still not a "proper" window to me (the
> sash-horror <g>),

What's wrong with the windows?  There's plenty wrong with the windows
around where I live, but I didn't know it was a common American thing
<g>

> 31.5 yrs "down the American road", I still have
> *vital* problems with the American *calendar*... :)
>
> The week *starts* with a *Sunday*?!?!?

Oh yes.  I can't get used to that.  And isn't Sunday part of the
*weekend*??

> Sunday is the day of rest, *after* a week of labour; that's how God set
> things up, and even the communists knew it :)

Although I remember somewhere in church hearing that Sunday is the first
day of the week - even the Catholics don't seem to be very consistent on
that one.

> And, please, don't tell
> me that its because "Sunday" is the "Sabbath"...  Christians have moved
> the day of rest to Sunday *long* ago, and, linguistically, neither
> Saturday nor Sunday has anything to indicate the "Sabbath" in English.
> In Polish and in Russian, there's at least a vestige of it ("sobota"
> and "subota", respectively), and it's the only "foreign" day's name,
> with no roots within the language. But it is, definitely, *Sunday*,
> which is a "no work day" in both languages, and Monday is "the day
> after the no work day". And, Tuesday is "the second day", just in case
> anyone missed the point on Monday, with Wednesday being "mid day", and
> Thursday and Friday being the "fourth" and the "fifth", respectively...
> :)

It is a very reasonable naming system.

> *Every time* I look at a calendar to find out what day of a week a
> particular date is, I look in the wrong place, because the arrangement
> has been moved by one...

Oh yes.  I get the time confused as well - in Poland we sometimes say 4
when we mean 16 or 4pm, but we pretty much always write 16, so when I
see pm hours in emails, I often miss the pm and show up 12 hours
early...

Weronika
(confused in Caltech, Pasadena, USA)
(Also, my Matlab program just returned "out of memory", arrgh)