Hi Ricky

Mum used to do this type of gathering by hand.... using very tiny stitches! Gather the area then pin to whatever it's attached, then stitch! I don't think there was ever a real name for it!!

Sue in EY
On 30 Jun 2008, at 00:29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi all,
I guess everyone else is confused what I'm talking about. Wish I knew! It's not smocking or pintucks. I mean little teeny tiny pleats, going in one direction, not box pleats. They give a very nice, neat look to the gathering I've seen in some antique clothing. I don't know what it's called, or how they did it, but there must be machine foot for it, I assume! Anyone know??

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions....I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out! Y'all are great! :<)

Ricky T

-----Original Message-----
From: Janice Blair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; lace-chat@arachne.com
Sent: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 5:17 pm
Subject: Re: [lace-chat] pleated gathering?

I think you mean smocking. I don't have a foot and have not done it since I was
in school a long looong time ago.
Janice

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:  Hi Sue,

Thanks for the tip. I have done lots of gathering in my day, and that's a good idea I'll keep in mind.? But at this point I am really interested in trying to learn how to make those teeny tiny pleats for gathering that you see in some antique clothing, if you know what I mean! I'm trying doing it by hand, but it's
not completely successful at this point....

Regards,
Ricki T