We were visiting his parents in Maryland and had been to the Lutheran Christmas Eve service. My hair was all done up (by a hairdresser for once!) because we'd been to a diplomatic party the night before - his father was in the foreign service - and I was wearing a red velvet dress I'd made that had white lace sleeves with velvet wristbands. (No, I didn't make the lace. This was long before I learned to do that!) It seemed to take forever for his sisters and parents to go to bed as we watched the lights on the Christmas tree. Finally, they did, and by the Christmas tree he asked me if I'd be willing to be his wife, and gave me the emerald-cut diamond I still wear. That was in 1967; we married in June of 1968 two days before his college graduation. I turned 20 the day before the ceremony. In the Fall, I went back to college for my junior year, and he was drafted into the Army for Vietnam. So it's been 41 years now, three kids and a slew of foreign exchange students.