I remember similar conversations to this one on this list before, and I certainly realized how sprawling our country (USA) is... But I also realized that one reason people in other areas consider an 8 hour trip to be too much is that they're not on open roads with the wind in their hair!! An hour of stop and go traffic with cranky drivers all around is enough to deter me! Last year, I nearly gave up traveling three hours to see my daughter and grandsons... because the interstate I traveled on has a posted speed limit of 65 MPH, but traffic routinely goes 85 MPH... and much of it is huge 18-wheel trucks which are driven by people who seem to think they're in sports cars! And the traffic is congested, with idiots zipping in and out, trying to get to the head of the pack... I tend to get white-knuckled in traffic like this! I found an alternate route with hardly any trucks, and with beautiful scenery. There is one stretch that sometimes gets bogged down around the University (of Virginia), but it's worth the short delay. The trip takes about a half-hour longer, but I arrive safe and sound, and still sane!! (... yeah, yeah... I know that's a relative term!!)

Clay

H. Muth wrote:
Hello all,

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a young French man who was staying with me for a time. He lived a 2 hour drive away from a family apartment on the Mediterranean, and a 6 hour drive from Paris. They went to the apartment a couple of times a year and rarely to Paris and he was quite shocked when I told him that Canadian young people would drive into Paris for the weekend! Many Canadians will drive 2 hours there and back _every_ weekend during the summer (or winter) to a vacation home. I guess when you live in the world's 2nd largest country and are spread out so much you get used to driving great distances. When I was that boy's age, we drove from Calgary to Vancouver for the weekend for a wedding. A 12 hour drive both ways!

Heather
Abbotsford, BC
A 1 hour drive to Vancouver where I will often go for dinner with my parents.

At 11:06 PM 09/05/2009 +0100, Sue wrote:
8 - 10 hrs maximum? That's when I realise how big the USA is, that's as far
as me driving to Scotland for a workshop wow!

Sue M Harvey
Norfolk UK

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].


To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to