I remember for years typing company newsletters and printing them out on a
Gestetner maching.  The typing was done onto a wax like sheet, backed by
upside down carbon paper (so you could read what was typed), and mistakes were
corrected by a small bottle of bright pink/red nail polish like substance
which filled the mistake so it could be typed over.  The typing was done
without a ribbon so the type cut into the wax like 'paper' and the Gestetner
machine itself was inked and then forced the ink through the 'holes', and hey
presto, perfect???? copy.    It was a brillian concept for its time.

I also used a telex machine - the forerunner of emails???  It was a large
machine somewhat like a very large typewriter complete with keyboard and it
was possible to have a 'conversation' with someone at the other end - you
typed your message, and then they replied.  But if there was nobody there, the
message waited -

My memories of pen and ink is somewhat sad - in the last two years of primary
school we graduated to pen and nib and white porcelain pots of ink in a hole
in the right hand top corner of each desk - filled religiously each morning by
the 'ink monitor'.  As I still had quite long plaits they went home most days
a rather nasty blue for the last few inches.  Someone behind had dipped them
in their inkwell.

I think it was the same bullies who didn't know about the concept of picking
on someone their own size, and I very quickly learned the secret of self
defence was weight and speed - if I couldn't outrun them, I had a brick
stashed in my school case.  If I stood still and spun and the school case
connected with attackers, they went down long enough for speed to enable
escape.

Such happy memories.

Win Lambert
Merseylea Tasmania
[email protected]

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected].

Reply via email to