At 01:09 AM 8/04/2013, Sue Harvey wrote:
I am very puzzled re "corned beef water " in the UK corned beef comes in tins from Brazil mostly, it is usually eaten sliced, cold with salad or maybe potatoes, or it is made into a hash or pie but what is corned beef water?

Dear Sue,
Here in Australia we can buy those cans too, but compared to "real" home made corned beef they are dreadful. I buy corned beef in a hunk of about 1.5kg and it's been fairly cheap lately. I think I paid about $10 for that chunk - that's about £6.75. It has been salted and corned by the butcher. Then it's a matter of boiling it for about 2 hours and slicing it up for a lovely hot meal with vegies and having the rest cold for the rest of the week. It is usually boiled with such things as a bay leaf, cloves, and even a quartered orange in the water. As it is boiled all the salt comes out, hence the water is no good for soups etc.

David in Ballarat, AUS

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to