At 09:45 AM 8/4/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>It is quite possible for anyone to learn any lace without learning other
>laces first.

This is also my opinion.  However, I must say that sometimes having previous
experience with other laces may make the learning curve a bit easier on
some of the more difficult laces.

I took a workshop on Binche several years ago, and still have never done
Flanders.  I must admit that my teacher frowned at me when I admitted to this,
but I did OK with Binche.  The teacher had to show me the Flanders stitch
since I didn't know it, but otherwise I could follow her instructions.

Now I must admit to working some snowflakes on my own ahead of the class,
just to be sure that I could do them correctly.  Four colors of thread
were used so the thread paths could be tracked better.  If the colors went
out of sequence, then I goofed somewhere and had to re-do it. Thus I had
no fear of 4-pair ground stitches when I started a Binche pattern.

Someone once told me that the Flanders knowledge was to give experience in
4-pair stitches before doing Binche.  I can see where the ring pair and
worker switching techniques would also help with confidence in a new venture.

I recommend having some removable arrows (from an office supply store) to
mark the location of the work on the diagram---use several, in fact.  I didn't
want to write on my only copy of the diagram and cobbled some markers using
scotch tape which I changed to arrows as soon as I got home.

We have the good fortune and privilege of having many lace types available
to us.

Now, since I just got a new lace pillow in the mail, I think I'll initiate
it with a pattern of Peniche Lace.

Happy lacing,

Alice in Oregon - July had no rain.  Hoping for a shower soon.
Oregon Country Lacemakers
Arachne Secret Pal Administrator
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]