At 08:50 PM 8/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Okay Alice!  Since the list is so quiet, I'm going to ask
>you to tell us about your new pillow!  I love vicarious
>thrills!!
>
>And also - tell me about Peniche lace - is it a Spanish
>lace?
>
>Clay

Hi again,

The 'new' pillow is a small travel pillow I got on eBay.  I happen to be
familiar with this kind, and have a student who wants one.  However, I'm
tempted to test it out, first, to be sure it's working right. <G>

I recently picked up the book "Rendas de Bilros de Peniche" (Bobbin Lace
of Peniche) by Janne L.G. Hill and Graca Maria Ramos.  It was published
by Barbara Fay Verlag.  ISBN 3-925184-72-4   Gammelby 2001.  It is written
in English, German, and Portugese.

Peniche is a fishing town by the sea in Portugal.  This lace has been made
here for at least 2 centuries.  It is still being made and some can even
be purchased.  The book gives the history of lacemaking in this town, and
has about a dozen patterns.

This lace has two forms -- popular lace and complicated lace.  The popular
lace is quite basic  -- simple motifs, grounds, leaves, plaits.  The
complicated lace is as named -- can be any shape or size and tends to
be very intricate.  However, directions must be carefully read even in
the popular lace because it does have its special characteristics. The
basic ground stitch (should it be called Peniche ground?) is CT pin CTTTT.
(I haven't searched my ground reference book to see if this stitch is in
it.)

>From looking at the patterns, I would say that anyone who knows Torchon
and a bit of Beds, and is willing to work with fine threads, can probably
do them without stress.

Peniche, each year, has The Day of The Lacemaker with contests and
celebrations.  Lacemakers make lace in the Public Gardens and many visitors
add to the fun.

Since I had nothing in my library about Portugese lace, this book was
fun to find.

Happy lacing,

Alice in Oregon - July had no rain.  Hoping for a shower soon.
Oregon Country Lacemakers
Arachne Secret Pal Administrator
Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]