From: "alice howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Lace precursers

> At 09:45 AM 8/4/2003 +1000, you wrote:
> >It is quite possible for anyone to learn any lace without
learning other
> >laces first.
> >

> This is also my opinion.  However, I must say that
sometimes having previous
> experience with other laces may make the learning curve a
bit easier on
> some of the more difficult laces.
>
> I took a workshop on Binche several years ago, and still
have never done
> Flanders.  I must admit that my teacher frowned at me when
I admitted to this,
> but I did OK with Binche.  The teacher had to show me the
Flanders stitch
> since I didn't know it, but otherwise I could follow her
instructions.

> Now I must admit to working some snowflakes on my own
ahead of the class,
> just to be sure that I could do them correctly.  Four
colors of thread
> were used so the thread paths could be tracked better.  If
the colors went
> out of sequence, then I goofed somewhere and had to re-do
it. Thus I had
> no fear of 4-pair ground stitches when I started a Binche
pattern.

> Someone once told me that the Flanders knowledge was to
give experience in
> 4-pair stitches before doing Binche.  I can see where the
ring pair and
> worker switching techniques would also help with
confidence in a new venture.

> I recommend having some removable arrows (from an office
supply store) to
> mark the location of the work on the diagram---use
several, in fact.  I didn't
> want to write on my only copy of the diagram and cobbled
some markers using
> scotch tape which I changed to arrows as soon as I got
home.

> We have the good fortune and privilege of having many lace
types available
> to us.
>
> Now, since I just got a new lace pillow in the mail, I
think I'll initiate
> it with a pattern of Peniche Lace.
>
> Happy lacing,
>
> Alice in Oregon - July had no rain.  Hoping for a shower
soon.
> Oregon Country Lacemakers
> Arachne Secret Pal Administrator
> Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> -
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
containing the line: