Dear Lacemakers,

I've been receiving a bit of private criticism for my London recommendations,
and think the subject deserves some reasoned thought.  Kenn can send this on
to the lady in California.

I have big city experience, having lived 13 years in Greenwich Village (NYC)
and worked in Manhattan for 15 years.

My sport was figure skating, which I took as seriously as lace, and did
better than walking.  That means I skated at least once a week at Rockefeller
Center.

It was my experience that vast numbers of tourists visited Rockefeller
Center, which has some of the most expensive shopping in New York around it - Saks,
Tiffany's, Cartier's and other fancy retail shops along Fifth Avenue.  On
American TV early each morning, we see throngs of tourists outside of NBC at
Rockefeller Center.  Once the stores open, they must be going to see those.  It
does not mean people feel they must buy in these stores.  It is that they want to
snap a picture, experience a place, and go home and say they have been there.

I know of no store in the English-speaking world quite like the House of
Liberty.  The inquirer is a dressmaker, knitter, tatter and crocheter.  This could
be the highlight of her trip, if she has never been to London.  Kenn will
forward our comments, and she will decide for herself.  But, I'd feel guilty not
telling her about such a source of creative ideas.  There is no admission fee
to stand in the light well of Liberty's and look up at the beautiful shopping
spaces above.  Perhaps you've forgotten that the first time you gaze around
this building means to catch your breath.  It is a place of living history,
where women still come to buy fabrics, ribbons, laces, buttons, etc.  some 125+
years after it opened for business.  If anyone knows of any American shopping
space like this landmark emporium I recommended in London, please share with me!

Kind regards to all,
Jeri Ames in Maine USA  (To shop does not mean to buy.)