[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> This particular lady will not accept "No" for an answer, and she keeps
> pestering me.   She is an artist who sells her pictures - and having seen
> them
> in the shop, I know how much she's charging.  However, her last snappy
> comment
> when I told her I didn't sell my lace was to the effect that she thought I
> should be prepared to give it away for the pleasure of sharing my skills
> with
> others.
>
> I held my tongue - but the temptation to tell her that the day she gives
her
> pictures away, I'll give my lace away was very great!!
>
> Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)

Ruth and the Spiders

Now, I'm not a violent person but I have to admit my first thought on this
comment that you should be prepared to 'give it away for the pleasure of
sharing
my skills' should be a punch on the nose.

Perhaps she would get the point then.

But serious, does she think that her pictures should be given away so that
more people have the opportunity to share her skills ... We all know the
answer
to that one.

If her pictures were any good then and you liked them (to many ifs there but)
you could offer to swop a piece of lace for a painting.  If they are not any
good, you could still swop a piece and give the picture to someone you didn't
like too much but had to give a large present to.

Failing that, I would just go for the punch on the nose along with the caveat
of 'I'm not normally a violent person, but for you I could make an
exception'.  Then when she complains through the blood gushing out of her nose
you just
get one of your friends to quiet mention that you are, of course, completely
mad - then you have your court defence already in the public domain.  Even
better if you can get a doctor's note to the effect that you are mad BEFORE
you
hit her, then you are really set up.

Seriously though, I know that it's too late for my favourite 'get out' but in
future you could try the one I developed in the end, 'Oh, do you make lace
and sell it', 'Why yes' ... go through the what do you want - that'll cost
£1500.  If they say 'yes, I'd love that, when could you do it by?' take out a
small
note book with various jottings in and flick through it (but don't let them
see it's your shopping list - or in my case a note of my threads and patterns)
and say, 'Well, I could possibly add you to the end of my current orders which
would be a commencement date of (add about 2 years hence) and therefore a
delivery date of (about 3 years hence) so the basic quote for cost may be
different to what I've just said due to cost of living increase (notice at
this point
the buyer's eyes are starting to glaze over).

'Yes, I certainly could take your commission ... could I have your name,
address and phone number so I can supply a quote' (you could also suggest that
you
come round to them about 3 times to decided on the design, thread and
mounting - for which, sorry, you'd have to add time and expense to their
quote).

By this time they will actually have to started to loose the will to live and
you can see the life force draining out of them.

Of course, if they still say yes, you know that in about 2 years you will
have to make a piece of lace and get paid for it - so it's not all that bad.

Regards

Liz Beecher
I'm <A HREF="http://journals.aol.com/thelacebee/thelacebee";>blogging</A> now -
see what it's all about