>>>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
People ask to buy an article at which you may have sat and worked 100 hours.

I consider I am worth as a fairly skilled lacemaker at least 10 to 15 GB
pounds per hour.  So that would make the piece in labour costs at least 1000
GBP.  No-one would want to pay that price.  <<<

I had an interesting experience along these lines this weekend.  My group
demonstrated lace this weekend.  My turn was Sunday, and the Saturday people
left things for my partner and myself to display, including a pretty framed
picture of a couple of flowers.  I'd not seen it before.  My partner was
taking a break when I got one of those "do you sell this work?" people.  I
went through my usual speil about the number of hours (ca. 6 for a torchon
bookmark), and even at minimum wage that's over USD 30.  She pointed to the
picture and said, "How about that?"  It was a relatively simple piece, but I
wanted to discourage her, as I knew whichever member of the lace group had
made it wasn't planning to sell it.  I said, "That probably took at least
100 hours, so it would cost hundreds of dollars."  She said she would still
be tempted, if only it was for sale.

When Suzanne returned, I asked who'd made the picture.  She said Barb had
found it in an antique shop, marked at something like USD 4!

This is a comment on valuation.  The picture was probably made by somebody
whose heirs had no appreciation, bought in a box lot by the antique dealer,
and therefore not valued.  Judging by the price, the dealer was probably
selling it for the frame!

Of course, now I wonder whether Barb would have been happy to make a couple
hundred dollars profit off the thing!  Oh, well!

Robin P.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com