>>>But can putting a "boasting" picture, with proper credits to book and
designer, on a non-commercial "boasting" website, really be described as
*publishing* except in the very widest sense of the word, ie make generally
known.  Surely it's the modern equivalent of having it hanging on your wall
where all your friends will see it, or in a key ring fob, or taking your
finished work to a lace day.<<<

Not really.  Most people don't have millions of people worldwide coming to
their living room to see their work.  And someone who sees my piece (at a
lace day or on a key ring or on my wall) is not in a position to make copies
at the click of a mouse button, in order to make it themselves.  They would
have to get it from me, and only with my permission.

>>>No designer wants the lace made from their designs to then be hidden away
in the back of a drawer.  In fact, so long as it is accredited to them, it
is free advertising for them.<<<

Which is why most designers will give permission for one to display one's
handiwork, crediting them, once one has asked them.  However, they have the
right to be asked and the right to give permission.  Or withold it, if one's
rendition is awful.

So yes, giving credit is very important, but it's the least we can do.  To
be truly on the up-and-up, we need to ask permission to display, especially
in such a public forum as the web.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/