While still on this subject, but not about lace, I have a book of quilting
blocks that I wanted to print off and use for a master copy.  The book
handily came with a cd of all the blocks to print(and adjust size if you
like).  Since I knew the author, I emailed her and asked permission to make
a master copy and have it bound at my local Staples shop. This way I can
have the patterns without ruining my autographed copy of the book and make
notations on the master copy.

This was more of a courtesy really, as I could have done it and no one would
have been the wiser.  The author gave me the permission and wished me well
on my journey.

With the internet and email, this is a handy way to gain approval for
copying if the book is current.

Karen