Over the years I have taught myself to sew, knit, crochet, tat, quilling, bunker, latch hook, embroider, spin, dye, off loom weave etc so this is the next challenge.

I too have done many of these things & others - mostly from books, but my mum and gran taught my to knit and sew before I was 5. It is possible to learn lace from books, but do some of the preliminary exercises first - don't jump in with the most beautiful pattern for your very first thing (my usual approach to crafts). After you've learn the basic stitches then you can start jumping on to more complicated things.

I teach lace to beginners so feel I can comment. Many of the questions have already been answered online, so I will just make a few extra comments.

Should I get a round, roller or travel cushion?

I would go for a BLOCK pillow - ie a round or square pillow domed (if using spangled bobbins) and flat (if using continental bobbins) but with blocks that can be taken out and moved up as your piece of lace grows). A cookie pillow is fine for motifs, but if you are think of lengths of lace or mats, you soon run out of space on the pillow. Moving lace on a pillow without blocks is a PAIN! Roller pillows are fine, but not so good for turning comers

See what I mean on http://www.smplace.co.uk/index.htm

Look in their catalogue for pillows. I still have their Standard 3 block pillow, from about 16 years ago and continue to use when I want a small block pillow. Buy spare blocks for when the first ones wear out, and also so that you can have more than one project on the go at a time.

Should I get more that one cushion?

Not until you've tried lacemaking and decided what your preferences are for type of lace and thickness of thread.

Should I get a cushion stand?

when I learnt in evening classes we put the pillow on the desk and a thick book or your tool box under the far side to slope the pillow - worked fine and it is still what I do in classes or when demonstrating without my lace table.

What sorts of bobbins are best for a beginner?
Smooth ones - you don't want the heads to be rough and catch the threads. This was true of my first cheap bobbins. If you are fairly sure you will want to continue then go for nice ones and add to them at all other present receiving occasions!!

How many bobbins should I buy?
You can do bookmarks and fine edgings with about 30 bobbins (this is the minimum unless you are thinking of tape lace)

Will my being left handed be an advantage in learning bobbin lace?
No - it needs both hands fairly equally.

Book:
As you are in Australia, try
"Introduction to Bobbin Lacemaking by Rosemary Shepherd" ISBN 0-916896-65-X

I recommend it  here in the USA.

Other useful tools - pin lifter & pusher (all in one is my preference), pricker, fine crochet hook (0.4mm)

Do ask more questions of us if you want to - we like helping others get addicted to lacemaking!

Sue Babbs

(an Englishwoman in Chicago USA)