Hey, I thought I was the only one that stuck her finger out to make hitches! LOL!
I think I must have learned this method from my very first lace teacher, Betty Alderson.

Jane wrote:
If your thread is wound clockwise as you look down on the head, if you
hold the bobbin horizontally in your left hand, with the head to the
right, the thread will pass upwards in front of the bobbin and *over*
the top of it - extend your left index finger so that it is parallel to
the bobbin and take the thread over this finger, round and under,
bringing it up (in a forwards direction) between your finger and the
bobbin - you will now have a loop of thread round your finger (the
thread crossing over on itself between finger and bobbin). Place your
finger tip onto the top of the head of the bobbin, and slide the loop
onto the short neck and tighten. (I tend to put my loop onto the wound
thread rather than on the short neck - the springier threads stay put
better).

Instead of flipping the loop of thread onto the bobbin right away, I make a double hitch by continuing around the front of the bobbin, and under, and up and around again, sort of in a figure 8 pattern. Now you have your loop on your finger and also one around the bobbin. Now flip the loop from the finger to the bobbin and tighten. I always try to give my hitches a little tug, to keep them snug.

Oh, and I use the International Square pearwood bobbins and this hitch stay on them just fine.

Thanks Jane for the tip about checking which way you wind your bobbins. I have a friend that has trouble with her hitches and I'll be passing on these tips to her.

Anita Hansen
Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA