In 1970, when I was still quite a beginner at lacemaking, I took a class at the Textile Museum in Washington DC. I remember the teacher (the wife of the then-Ambassador from -- where? Gibraltar? the name escapes me) telling us that we should reckon on making an inch per hour (a square inch? a running inch?). I do think that 18th and 19th century lacemakers were indeed very poorly paid, and probably didn't earn more than whatever would have been the equivalent of the minimum wage. I remember reading that at one time lacemakers were being paid not in currency but in food! -- Aurelia

 She asked how long it
takes to do a bit & I wasn’t sure.

 are lacemakers so unskilled as to merit only a “minimum
wage”?