""I seem to remember from arachne several years ago the statement that at one
stage lace was worth up to 8 times its weight in gold.

Could anyone help please with the source of this quote?""

I think the one you are referring to is the following, which was typed out and given to me, stuck into the front of her book, "An Introduction to Lace", by the late Gabrielle Pond :-

"Extract from "The Tablet of Memory"  London 1787.  p66.
LACE - more valuable than gold - one ounce of fine Flanders thread has been sold in London for £1. Such an ounce made into Lace may be here sold for £40, which is ten times the price of standard gold, weight for weight."

I have no idea who wrote the Tablet of Memory. I have never heard of that document, I must admit.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne