I'm with you on this one, Tamara. My mother was a dressmaker and tailoress by trade, too and she did all her sewing on a plain singer treadle machine. When she went out to West Africa during the war as my Father worked out there (with 5 year old me in tow!) she swapped her treadle with her sister's hand-wound one which was much smaller. I learned to sew using the hand one - one hand to guide the fabric, and the other hand to wind the wheel!!!

My 21st birthday gift was my own sewing machine - an electric Husqvarna - but still No embroidery stitches - and that was in the late 1950's.

All the fancy stitching seemed to be available to ordinary households much later than that. Prior to that - we did it all by hand except for the seams!

Overlockers were not available either - you either turned an edge over and stitched it down and trimmed away the excess, - or whipped it along. Buttonholes were made by hand too. - No Buttonhole attachments in "them thare days"!!!!! :)) - and the hand made buttonholes are STILL better than the machine made ones!!! :))

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz