--- Elizabeth Ligeti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My 21st birthday gift was my own sewing machine - an
> electric Husqvarna -
> but still No embroidery stitches - and that was in
> the late 1950's................
- No Buttonhole attachments in "them
> thare days"!!!!!

I learned to sew on my Grandmother's treadle machine.
That was in the 50's.  She had a buttonhole attachment
for her treadle at that time, and had had it for a
while.  So....the attachments were available, but may
not have been where you were.

I eventually inherited that attachment, and it still
makes better buttonholes than the built-in ones on my
newer machines.

Before lace, I did a lot of that fancy hand-controlled
machine embroidery -- presser foot off, fabric in a
hoop, and operator in full control (supposedly.)  We
also made 'lace' but had the advantage of the new
water-soluable stabilizer to use as a backing.  It was
a miniature version of the Schiffli Embroidery process
-- definitely not a new process.  I guess I've
replaced that activity with hand lace making.

Beware, Newbies.....lacemaking is additive!!! <G>

Lace report -- finished the 'wooden shoe' pattern that
was started in a class a year ago.  Now I'm persisting
on the Needlelace flower that was started in
conference recently.  I'm determined to get it done.

Alice in Oregon -- USA people, have a great holiday