Jo, I totally agree with you. The lace should be designed so that there is a stick at the same place in each pattern repeat.

I remember hearing Christine Springett talking about fans some time ago and she said that white and pale coloured lace fans should be mounted onto dark coloured sticks, and black lace onto pale coloured sticks. The reason for this is to minimise the appearance of the sticks - white lace is likely to be displayed against a dark background whilst black will be best seen against a light background.

Brenda