I agree with Cindy, this is exactly like several of our cone winders for our
sock knitting machines.  There are also some with a different iron work design
in the wheel, and others that drive direct with a rubber edged small wheel a
bit like a bobbin winder on your sewing machine.  This one should be powered
by a (missing) pulley belt passing round the big wheel and a very small one
which is to be seen in one the photos.  The wooden cone pushes onto the tapered
peg.  The belt is usually leather of the type used for treadle sewing machines.

As there only seem to be two or three styles I'm sure they were 'bought in'
by the sock machine manufacturers and were used for all sorts of textile
machinery where it is important to have a freely running thread.

Winding the cones and/or bobbins used to be a job for the children when these
machines (and the earlier frame knitting machines) were used as part of a
cottage industry.

I suppose it could be converted as a bobbin winder if a bobbin holder of some
sort could devised to be pushed onto the peg.

Jacquie in Linconlshire