I made a make-shift pillow from the underlay for laminate flooring covered with a cloth which was successful if not cumbersome. and I bought wooden 'dolly' pegs to use as bobbins. (These each had a little top hat which held the wool in place) I used these because I used a variety of wool thicknesses and unfortunately broke a couple of my midland bobbins whilst making the scarf.

Good luck with the scarf and enjoy wearing it........
Celia Mulhearn - in a very wet Plumstead, SE London, UK

bevw wrote:
If you have made a bobbin lace scarf, what type of bobbins did you use? and
if on a block pillow was it one with wide blocks, necessarily?