Bev, I made a scarf from 1 ply pure wool some time ago.   I made myself
three planks of high density polystyrene glued onto plywood, with the usual
padding and cover.  They were about 8 inches deep and almost 2 feet wide.
Then I made two bands of wide elastic, not very tight, to hold them
together.  I did try a big bolster pillow, but I didn't like working on it.

I used ordinary Midlands as bobbins, just overwound the wool onto them.
Being very fine wool, it was easy to overlap fresh bobbins when one ran out,
and totally impossible to spot the overlap when the scarf was finished.  I
kept a basket of pre-wound bobbins ready at all times.

I actually made the scarf as an edge first, intending to put a fine wool
centre into it, but I couldn't find any fabric to suit, so I drew up a
simple centre with the same number of pinholes as the footside of the scarf
and worked that separately, then slip stitched the two together.

I later made a large wall hanging in tape lace, using a big square board and
my planks as edge additions when I needed them.  This was in a very thick
weaver's linen, and I acquired 12 weaver's bobbins to use for that - they're
about 7 or 8 inches long, and hold a great deal of thread.    If I ever use
them again, I'll cut and sand their bulbous ends into squares to make life
easier.

Noelene in Cooma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]